Students practice ducking and covering during a classroom drill. The efforts were intended to protect the children in the event of an atomic attack.
School Bomb Drill
- Signing of the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty, 1963 — Share the History Love... President Kennedy signing the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty on October 7, 1963 in the Treaty Room of the White House. L-R: William Hopkins, Sen. Mike Mansfield, John J. McCloy, Adrian S. Fisher, Sen. John Pastore, W. Averell Harriman, Sen. George Smathers, Sen. J.W. Fulbright, Sec. of State Dean Rusk, Sen. George Aiken, [...]
- Slavic family at Ellis Island — Share the History Love... Slavic woman and children in traditional clothing at Ellis Island. Share the History Love... [...]
- Female snake charmer, 1935 — Share the History Love... A female snake charmer with the Cole Brothers Circus, watched by two children in 1935. Share the History Love... [...]
- Nuclear bomb shelter in Los Angeles, 1951 — Share the History Love... Mary Lou Miner, in summer sportswear, suns herself atop a new West Los Angeles bomb shelter at 10333 Santa Monica Boulevard, dreamed up by John Vale and executed by Arthur Lowe. Photograph was taken on April 7, 1951. Share the History Love... [...]
- Scottish boys at Ellis Island — Share the History Love... Scottish boys, in their best attire, at Ellis Island. Share the History Love... [...]