Students practice ducking and covering during a classroom drill. The efforts were intended to protect the children in the event of an atomic attack.
School Bomb Drill
- Six-year-old Lyndon B. Johnson, 1915 — Share the History Love... Photograph of Lyndon B. Johnson when he was around six years old, ca. 1915. Share the History Love... [...]
- Viewing a bomb-damaged home, 1963 — Share the History Love... Birmingham, Alabama residents viewing the bomb-damaged home of Arthur Shores, an attorney with the NAACP, on September 5, 1963. Shores’ campaign in 1963 to integrate the Birmingham public schools brought violence to him and other residents. Shore’s home was fire-bombed on August 20 and September 4 in retaliation for black parents [...]
- Child holding fireworks and a flag, 1906 — Share the History Love... A child holding fireworks and a flag is all ready for the holiday in 1906. Share the History Love... [...]
- 4th of July Soapbox Race, 1940 — Share the History Love... The winners of the soapbox auto race during July 4th celebration at Salisbury, Maryland in 1940. Share the History Love... [...]
- Signing of the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty, 1963 — Share the History Love... President Kennedy signing the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty on October 7, 1963 in the Treaty Room of the White House. L-R: William Hopkins, Sen. Mike Mansfield, John J. McCloy, Adrian S. Fisher, Sen. John Pastore, W. Averell Harriman, Sen. George Smathers, Sen. J.W. Fulbright, Sec. of State Dean Rusk, Sen. George Aiken, [...]