Photograph shows a group of nurses aboard the “Red Cross” bound for Europe in mid September 1914 at the beginning of World War I.
On “RED CROSS”
- First female jury in Los Angeles, 1911 — Photo shows the first all-woman jury in Los Angeles, California who acquitted the editor of the Watts News of printing indecent language on Nov. 2, 1911. Share the History Love... [...]
- Woman standing on soldier’s rock on Madeline Island, 1907 — Woman standing on soldier’s rock on Madeline Island in Wisconsin, 1907. Share the History Love... [...]
- Keith O’Brien Company dry goods store, 1908 — Large group of people looking at and selling merchandise at the Keith O’Brien Company dry goods store in Salt Lake City on March 24, 1908. Share the History Love... [...]
- Alexander Milliner: Washington’s favorite drummer boy — Alexander Milliner enlisted as a drummer boy who served in Gen. Washington’s Life Guard unit. He was reportedly a favorite of Washington’s, often playing at his personal request. He was present at the battles of Brandywine, Monmouth – where he was shot in the thigh after a bullet passed through his drum – Saratoga, White Plains, [...]
- Navy nurses receiving packages from home, WWII — Two recently arrived Navy nurses at a Navy Hospital in the South Pacific (possibly Guadalcanal) receive their first package from home. It includes books, candy and lounging pajamas. Share the History Love... [...]