During the Great Ohio River Flood of 1937, men and women in Louisville, Kentucky, line up seeking food and clothing from a relief station, in front of a billboard proclaiming, “World’s Highest Standard of Living,” February 1, 1937.
Flood Victims Lined Up, 1937
- Gift Guide: Presidential History Fans — Leading up to the holiday season, I’m highlighting gift ideas for the history buff on your list! Presidential socks (Lincoln, Washington, and Kennedy): Amazon Presidential slogan mug: The Unemployed Philosopher’s Guild Clashing political parties cuff links: National Archives George Washington cookie cutter: Amazon The Roosevelts: An Intimate History: Amazon Pez Presidents of The United [...]
- Woman with snowshoes, 1909 — Florence (Flo) Sallows Saunders, the daughter of the photographer, stands under a snow-covered cedar gateway into a garden with snowshoes. She wears a wide-brimmed fur hat, light woolen sweater with dark trim down front and on cuffs along with black gloves. In the photograph below, Flo is captured on a snow-covered balcony with snowshoes hanging on her back. The photographs were [...]
- Gift Guide: History Film Lovers — Leading up to the holiday season, I’m highlighting gift ideas for the history buff on your list! The Loving Story: Amazon The Finest Hours: Amazon Suffragette: Amazon Bridge of Spies: Amazon Son of Saul: Amazon Liberty! The American Revolution: Amazon The Dust Bowl: Amazon Eyes on The Prize: America’s Civil Rights Years: Amazon Unsure what [...]
- Gift Guide: U.S. History Lovers — Leading up to the holiday season, I’m highlighting gift ideas for the history buff on your list! “History Nerd” t-shirt: The History List Framed beer mug U.S Patent print: National Archives 32 oz. Benjamin Franklin growler: HausOfGrowlers (Etsy) “We The People” wood earrings: GreenTreeJewelry (Etsy) “Future History Buff” body suit: CafePress Professor Noggin’s “History of the United States” educational [...]
- On the steps of Atlanta University, c. 1899 — Four African American women seated on steps of building at Atlanta University, Georgia, c. 1899. Share the History Love... [...]