In early 1861, New York City explored the idea of seceding from the Union to form the independent republic of “Tri-Insula,” composed of Manhattan, Staten Island, and Long Island. “Tri-Insula” is Latin for “three islands.” However, the public thought the idea was too radical and the “three islands” stayed in the Union.
The Republic of Tri-Insula
- Joseph Clovese at the last G.A.R. reunion, 1949 — Share the History Love... Joseph Clovese, G.A.R. veteran, at the 83rd and final G.A.R. reunion held in Indianapolis, Indiana on August 28, 1949. This was the first Civil War reunion for the former Union soldier who had been born into slavery 105 years earlier. Born January 30, 1844 on a plantation in St. Bernard Parish, LA, [...]
- Officers of the USS Mendota, 1864 — Share the History Love... Officers of the gun boat – the USS Mendota – in 1864. From the day of her commissioning in 1864, Mendota was assigned to the James River Division, North Atlantic Blockading Squadron. The first ten months she served as a picket ship near Four Mile Creek. Her guns were used to [...]
- D-Day in Pictures: Part VI — Share the History Love... D-Day in Pictures: Part I D-Day in Pictures: Part II D-Day in Pictures: Part III D-Day in Pictures: Part IV D-Day in Pictures: Part V “We got on the beach and they have all these people laying down on the beach that were killed, it was chaos” – SSG Walter Ehlers, 18th Infantry [...]
- Scouts and guides of the Army of the Potomac, 1864 — Share the History Love... Scouts and guides of the Army of the Potomac at winter quarters at Brandy Station in March 1864. Standing, left to right: James Doughty, James Cammack (?), unknown, Henry W. Dodd, unknown, unknown. Seated: John M. Irby, Lt. Robert Klein (probably Sergeant Milton Cline), Dan Cole. On ground: Dan Plew, Lt. [...]
- Hornet’s Nest Brigade reunion, 1923 — Share the History Love... Veterans of the Hornet’s Nest Brigade at a Civil War reunion in Ottumwa, Iowa during June 20-21, 1923. The Hornet’s Nest Brigade included members of the 2nd, 7th, 8th, 12th & 14th Iowa Infantries who served during the war. Share the History Love... [...]