In early 1861, New York City explored the idea of seceding from the Union to form the independent republic of “Tri-Insula,” composed of Manhattan, Staten Island, and Long Island. “Tri-Insula” is Latin for “three islands.” However, the public thought the idea was too radical and the “three islands” stayed in the Union.
The Republic of Tri-Insula
- Officers of the USS Mendota, 1864 — Share the History Love... Officers of the gun boat – the USS Mendota – in 1864. From the day of her commissioning in 1864, Mendota was assigned to the James River Division, North Atlantic Blockading Squadron. The first ten months she served as a picket ship near Four Mile Creek. Her guns were used to [...]
- D-Day in Pictures: Part VI — Share the History Love... D-Day in Pictures: Part I D-Day in Pictures: Part II D-Day in Pictures: Part III D-Day in Pictures: Part IV D-Day in Pictures: Part V “We got on the beach and they have all these people laying down on the beach that were killed, it was chaos” – SSG Walter Ehlers, 18th Infantry [...]
- Scouts and guides of the Army of the Potomac, 1864 — Share the History Love... Scouts and guides of the Army of the Potomac at winter quarters at Brandy Station in March 1864. Standing, left to right: James Doughty, James Cammack (?), unknown, Henry W. Dodd, unknown, unknown. Seated: John M. Irby, Lt. Robert Klein (probably Sergeant Milton Cline), Dan Cole. On ground: Dan Plew, Lt. [...]
- Hornet’s Nest Brigade reunion, 1923 — Share the History Love... Veterans of the Hornet’s Nest Brigade at a Civil War reunion in Ottumwa, Iowa during June 20-21, 1923. The Hornet’s Nest Brigade included members of the 2nd, 7th, 8th, 12th & 14th Iowa Infantries who served during the war. Share the History Love... [...]
- Medical evacuation patients on the USS Tripoli, 1967 — Share the History Love... Wounded Marines on the deck of the Amphibious assault ship USS Tripoli (LPH-10) await transfer to the 22nd Casualty Station in Danang from which they will be sent to the States, July 1967. Share the History Love... [...]