Marie Mitchell was the first American woman astronomer. On the night of October 1, 1847, Mitchell stood on a Nantucket rooftop with her telescope and discovered a telescopic comet, which is invisible to the naked eye. This discovery gave her worldwide fame since she was only the second woman to see a comet (the first being German-British astronomer Caroline Herschel). In 1865, she become the first astronomy professor, male or female, at Vassar College. In addition to being an advocate in the Woman’s Rights movement, Mitchell was the first woman elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- Odd Contests: Pumpkin Princess & Pumpkin Queen — Share the History Love... Janice Lee Ortieb, age 4, and Patricia Lynn Barlow, age 16 were elected the San Fernando Valley’s first Pumpkin Princess and Pumpkin Queen at the Balboa Mission Center on November 20, 1961. The girls will reign through Thanksgiving Eve from a throne inside a $15,000 custom-built Pumpkin House at the Balboa Mission [...]
- Apollo 11 astronauts in Mobile Quarantine Facility, 1969 — Share the History Love... Within the Mobile Quarantine Facility, Apollo 11 astronauts (left to right) Michael Collins, Edwin E. Aldrin Jr. and Neil A. Armstrong relax following their successful lunar landing mission. They spent two-and-one-half days in the quarantine trailer en route from the USS Hornet, prime recovery ship, to the Lunar Receiving Laboratory at [...]
- Picking blackberries in Oregon, 1910 — Share the History Love... Women picking evergreen blackberries in western Oregon, 1910. Share the History Love... [...]
- Woman on a modified broom, 1977 — Share the History Love... An unidentified woman on a broom that has been modified with bicycle parts and a flashlight on October 28, 1977. The National Archives took the above picture and turned it into a gif. Enjoy! Share the History Love... [...]
- Roller Derby Skaters at the Starting Line, 1936 — Share the History Love... Roller derby skaters, from left, Louise Thomas, Elizabeth “Libby” Hoover, Pudge Dyer, Jayne Cummings and Mildred Arndt, are started by Harry Newman on Jan. 4, 1936. Share the History Love... [...]