The Hawaiian Islands were called the Sandwich Islands by Captain James Cook in 1778. The name was in honor of the Earl of Sandwich. When Cook landed on Kauai at Waimea Bay, Hawaii became open up to the west. Cook’s stay on the island was short-lived when he was killed a year later by locals in Kealakekua Bay.
“The Sandwich Islands”
- Twisted remains of the USS Shaw, 1941 — The twisted remains of the destroyer USS Shaw burning in floating drydock at Pearl Harbor after the Japanese attack on December 7, 1941. Share the History Love... [...]
- Horse riding in pineapple fields, 1973 — With pineapple fields as his arena, Henri Aki takes his horse for a late afternoon training session near Lanai City, Hawaii in October 1973. Pineapple growing takes up 16,000 acres of the island’s territory. Share the History Love... [...]
- Girls packing pineapple into cans, 1928 — Hawaiian girls working in a factory (possibly the Dole Food Company) and packing pineapple into cans on November 20, 1928. Share the History Love... [...]
- Displaying Slug at the Mooring Mast Field’s Dispensary, 1941 — The Marine Corps Air Station Ewa was located on Oahu’s southwest shore. The U.S. Navy began leasing parts of the area in 1925 but the Marine Corps Air Station at Ewa was not formally commissioned until February 3, 1941. Officers had barley moved into their quarters at Ewa when the attack on Pearl Harbor occurred. Unlike other airfields that [...]
- Video: Pearl Harbor Wreckage — The newsreel shows the devastation on the coastline of Pearl Harbor – seen from a boat moving alongside it. The footage depicts wreckage of aircrafts, smoke rising all around, buildings destroyed, and large plumes of black smoke rising from ships on fire. Share the History Love... [...]