LIFE has amazing photo galleries depicting wars, economic crisis, groundbreaking photography, Hollywood’s golden years and photo timelines of influential people. They also have galleries with interesting subjects, for example the photo gallery with the headline – “Animals Driving Cars.” Since I like nothing better than good, but mostly odd, photos, I have decided to share a few here. I do not know why I find them hilarious, whether it is the role juxtaposition or the faces of the people in the photos, these are priceless!
Animals Driving Cars
- Feeding baby elephants at the San Antonio Zoo, 1962 — Fred Stark, director of San Antonio Zoo, feeds new baby elephants that arrived overnight by railway express from their former home in Chicago’s Brookfield Zoo on April 5, 1962. Share the History Love... [...]
- Loggers in a lumber camp in Wisconsin, 1910 — Group portrait of loggers in a lumber camp near Ojibwa, Wisconsin, ca. 1910. In front, seated on his sled, is T.J. Thompson. He traveled among the lumber camps between Winter and Raddison, selling watches and jewelry. His sled was pulled by his dog. Share the History Love... [...]
- Apsaroke mother and child, 1908 — Photograph of an Apsaroke mother with her child by photographer Edward Sheriff Curtis in 1908. Share the History Love... [...]
- Testing out the Army’s new truck, 1941 — The following caption was given to this ‘high flying’ photograph taken on March 29, 1941: “These soldiers go up in the air to prove that the Army’s new quarter ton truck can take it.” Share the History Love... [...]
- Rural free delivery carrier, 1905 — An unidentified Rural Free Delivery carrier posed in his two-wheeled mail cart with patrons from along his new mail route in 1905. Share the History Love... [...]