During the funeral ceremonies for former president Andrew Jackson, his pet parrot, Poll, was ejected from the room. Why? Because Poll kept screaming obscenities at the mourners.
Andrew Jackson’s Parrot
- Helen Keller & Grace Coolidge, 1926 — On January 11, 1926, Helen Keller visited the White House. She also had a photo-op with First Lady Grace Coolidge. Interacting with a person in the deaf community was nothing new for the First Lady. In 1904 – before her marriage to the future president Calvin Coolidge – Grace began her teaching training course at [...]
- Vintage Dogs in Costumes — There is no shortage of animal posts around social media. From videos of cats scaring other cats to images of dogs sleeping at weird angles, posts and articles about animals are not hard to find. Since my sister runs a cool blog about her dog, I constantly see her dog in various costumes and attire. [...]
- Christmas Catastrophe, 1906 — The title of this 1906 humorous drawing is: “A Christmas catastrophe: Please, sir, the rat entree has escaped and eaten the turkey.” There is a sign above the cat standing near the center of the table which says, “May every cat grow sleek and fat on turkey this Christmas Day.” Share the History Love... [...]
- A load of Christmas Trees, 1910-1915 — A man with a team of horses are transporting a wagon full of Christmas Trees in New York between 1910-1915. Share the History Love... [...]
- “Thanksgiving Story” told by a 7-year-old, 1961 — Joni French, 7, holds a sign that says, “On Thanksgiving the turkeys are afraid. But if I were a turkey I would walk behind a man so he would not chop my head off.” Behind Joni, Kevin Brown, 7, stands along with a chalkboard illustrating a turkey walking behind a man on November 15, 1961. Share [...]