By today’s dollar, the journey from Ireland to the United States during Ireland’s Great Famine (1845-1852) was $10.
- Medical evacuation patients on the USS Tripoli, 1967 — Wounded Marines on the deck of the Amphibious assault ship USS Tripoli (LPH-10) await transfer to the 22nd Casualty Station in Danang from which they will be sent to the States, July 1967. Share the History Love... [...]
- Ice skating on the Manitowoc River, 1891 — Ice skating on the Manitowoc River in Wisconsin in 1891. Share the History Love... [...]
- Annie Oakley shooting, 1892 — A Native American man stands in the left foreground watching Phoebe Anne “Annie Oakley” Moses shoot at targets in the air during a performance of Buffalo Bill’s Wild West Show at Earl’s Court in England in 1892. The man has a blanket wrapped around his body. Annie shoots with her left arm fully extended. She [...]
- Testing out the Army’s new truck, 1941 — The following caption was given to this ‘high flying’ photograph taken on March 29, 1941: “These soldiers go up in the air to prove that the Army’s new quarter ton truck can take it.” Share the History Love... [...]
- Driving through a cut-out section of a tree, 1865 — Man in hat seated in a wagon with his back to the camera posed inside the cut-out section of the tree, ca. 1865. The section of the tree was 28 feet in diameter and 275 feet high and was located near Wawona, California in the Mariposa Grove. Share the History Love... [...]