America’s first multimillionaire was John Jacob Astor. As a German immigrant, Astor acquired his wealth in fur trade (he created the American Fur Company) and real estate. By today’s standards, he would have been the fourth richest American ever.
John Jacob Astor
- Chuck Berry performing during “Chuck Berry’s Bandstand,... — [...]
- Medical evacuation patients on the USS Tripoli, 1967 — Wounded Marines on the deck of the Amphibious assault ship USS Tripoli (LPH-10) await transfer to the 22nd Casualty Station in Danang from which they will be sent to the States, July 1967. Share the History Love... [...]
- Gift Guide: History Book Lovers — Leading up to the holiday season, I’m highlighting gift ideas for the history buff on your list! Bourbon: The Rise, Fall, and Rebirth of an American Whiskey by Fred Minnick: Amazon A Salvage War: A Military History of the Civil War by Williamson Murray and Wayne Wei-siang Hsieh: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite – an easy way to carry [...]
- Gift Guide: Presidential History Fans — Leading up to the holiday season, I’m highlighting gift ideas for the history buff on your list! Presidential socks (Lincoln, Washington, and Kennedy): Amazon Presidential slogan mug: The Unemployed Philosopher’s Guild Clashing political parties cuff links: National Archives George Washington cookie cutter: Amazon The Roosevelts: An Intimate History: Amazon Pez Presidents of The United [...]
- Gift Guide: History Film Lovers — Leading up to the holiday season, I’m highlighting gift ideas for the history buff on your list! The Loving Story: Amazon The Finest Hours: Amazon Suffragette: Amazon Bridge of Spies: Amazon Son of Saul: Amazon Liberty! The American Revolution: Amazon The Dust Bowl: Amazon Eyes on The Prize: America’s Civil Rights Years: Amazon Unsure what [...]