Hair spray was invented in the 1940’s and very quickly became a fad among American women. The downside to this invention was the fact that the early aerosol hair spray was water insoluble, making it difficult to wash it out. The reason for this is because the main ingredient was shellac, which was commonly used as a wood preservative.
- First female jury in Los Angeles, 1911 — Photo shows the first all-woman jury in Los Angeles, California who acquitted the editor of the Watts News of printing indecent language on Nov. 2, 1911. Share the History Love... [...]
- Woman standing on soldier’s rock on Madeline Island, 1907 — Woman standing on soldier’s rock on Madeline Island in Wisconsin, 1907. Share the History Love... [...]
- Keith O’Brien Company dry goods store, 1908 — Large group of people looking at and selling merchandise at the Keith O’Brien Company dry goods store in Salt Lake City on March 24, 1908. Share the History Love... [...]
- Navy nurses receiving packages from home, WWII — Two recently arrived Navy nurses at a Navy Hospital in the South Pacific (possibly Guadalcanal) receive their first package from home. It includes books, candy and lounging pajamas. Share the History Love... [...]
- Marlon Brando on set of “A Streetcar Named Desire,” 194... — A 24-year-old Marlon Brando on the set of the Broadway production of A Streetcar Named Desire on December 27, 1948. Share the History Love... [...]